Wednesday, January 28, 2009

"The Holy Grail"

Well, while the title may be a play on words I personally feel blessed by the generosity Alan and the rest of First United Church of Christ on Curry Ford have shown not just Food Not Bombs, but the entire community. I'm sure many of you are wondering where I'm going with this, and oh believe me, I'll get there.

While over at F.U.C.C. (yes, laugh at the acronym because we do too!) this previous Sunday night, I walked around the property and talked to Alan about the use of resources. While we were talking about the FNB office we have over there, and the copious amount of land we have planned for a community garden. I was focused on the back back shed. I say back back because there are two.

While currently the shed holds tables, and fertilizer, and gardening tools it could be utilized for something more, as right now it's just kind of used for storage. So, the question popped into my head and I blurted it out, "Hey Alan, could a bunch of use the back back shed for a bike co-op?" He said of course, as his genuine loving heart always agrees to help everyone out. So the second question came "Would you want us to pay rent?", I quietly said. "Of course not, that's a silly thing to ask," Alan joyfully said back.

So ladies and gents, here she is the proposed FREE building near Curry Ford and Conway. It also comes free with electricity (which I think we should donate an allotted amount of incoming donations to compensate for our usage, if we choose to utilize this space), and all this sweet black pipe, and PVC. The front "yard" if you will is where FNB plans to start a community garden in conjunction with anyone wanting to help and get their hands dirty, more word on that soon, but for now here are some picture I took the other day. Please discuss.

Thursday, January 22, 2009


Name list from IBOT:

Velorution (pseudo-dyslexic spelling of 'revolution' - includes 'velo' for bicycle)
Velohalla (play on 'valhalla' - or viking heaven - again 'velo' for bike)
Bike Core
Spokes Council
Orlando Bike Co-op or City Beautiful Bike Co-op (CBBC)
Wicked wisdom
The Pie Plate (bsnyc joke, of course)
ombc - orlando mounted bicycle collective
Regional Organization for Bikes On The Streets...or. R.O.B.O.T.S.
bicycle your orlando blocks --- BYOB!
byob - build your own bike
rusted chain bicycle collective
seized bottom bracket bicycle collective
broken spoke bicycle collective (not to be confused with broken spoke saloon)
severed derailleur cable bicycle collective
throttle grip bicycle collective
toe-overlap bicycle collective
njs supermarket
stripped nut bicycle collective
bike crisis (thanks keri)
bikeage (a la descendents)
scott stapp bikes
disneyland bike collective
vintage city cycles --parody--
victory cycles --parody--
kyles bike collective --parody--
glory bicycles --parody--
old town cycles --parody--
mango cycles --parody--
daves co-op --parody--
robot coop
ROBOCOOP ( ride on bikes orlando - co op ) jaja
Velo, Goodbye!
jeromey spoke (get it?) in class today
Face Full of Coop
flew the coop
hangin with mr coop
Ye Olde Bicycle Co-Oppe?
a sprok-work orange
Bike All Collevtice (BAC)
'our streets' bicycle collective
twisted nipple collective
407 bike co-op
"not bikings"
"cops are the future"
Bike City.
The Hub and Spoke
seat & guts
"The old frame and spoke"
"the rusty chain"
the grape and van.
robotlegs coop
"the broken leg"
Pedal to the Pavement
the bike shack?
"THis is BIKE CO-OP"
Crank it up co-op
the spoke'n sprocket -----
the seat post clamp and crown race
Orlando Cycle Co Op OCCO
"das fucked up bikez"
the old my knee hurts and I gotz a broken crank
orlando bicycle co-op
valve and stem
"Wheels and Driver"
"cops are the future"
"Flew the coop"
"a sprok work orange"
"Bikes, Bikes, and Bikes"
co-ops are the future
the rusted frame
lazarus frames/co-op/bikes
tiger army
frames r' us
seizin' of chains (play of season of change)
skunk ape bikes
skunk ape bicycle collective
skunk ape bicycle cooperative
skunk ape cycles
the workhorse
fixyourbikeherefree (or fiyobiherf for short, naturally)
das uberbikens kollective
The bike republic.
American Apparel.
crankslovakia, cranksylvania
american APEarrel
Cycling Outreach Of the People... C.O.-O.P.
Balancing Efforts to Kill Excessiveness... B.I.K.E.
Fork Yeah
bike shelter
rescued bikes
zurg bicycles
peter frametown
Coop Kids
The 'X' (X = Street) Bicycle Revival

I'd like to go out on a limb and propose that we strike the jokes from this list:
-wicked wisdom
-njs supermarket
-scott stapp bikes
-vintage city cycles --parody--
-victory cycles --parody--
-kyles bike collective --parody--
-glory bicycles --parody--
-old town cycles --parody--
-mango cycles --parody--
-daves co-op --parody--
-jeromey spoke (get it?) in class today
-flew the coop
-hangin with mr coop
-"not bikings"
"-cops are the future"
-the grape and van.
-the old my knee hurts and I gotz a broken crank
-tiger army
-frames r' us
-American Apparel.
-american APEarrel

I'm thinking of a reliable way to collect votes. diebold, whats up?

possible location

 3804 n. Orange Blossom Trail, 32804
10x20 space
24hr access
Shelves and such
$275 a month and can be rented month to month.



i think we need to put a deadline up for name ideas, then put together a list for everyone to start looking at and narrowing down, so we can vote on a name.

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Location Proposal

$600 20'x15' upstairs at the Cameo Theatre

near the intersection of colonial and thornton (1 block west of mills)

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Name Meeting // Bike Hunx

No notes were taken for the "meeting" at my house this morning. We talked about the name some more, and decided that based upon how difficult it is to get everyone together at once (especially those who want to help but can't make meetings), that we'd try to get some type of online meeting together.

Naming process proposal:

1) Online, Those-Involved, Nomination-Ballot Method

a) it's tough to get everyone together to meet

b) many of us are online

c) people who aren't involved or don't plan on being involved should not be able to vote on the name

d) process - all "involved" each nominate one name from the "big list" / once the "final list" is compiled, those "involved" will vote on the name / most votes should win

e) pros: efficient, quick, decisive, ought to decide the "most liked" name

f) cons: there may be a situation to arise that there will be many choices with one vote (likely the choices' nominator), allowing a choice with only two votes to pass with a possible 2-for 15-against margin.

g) mediation option: group discusses the nominees and narrows it down to 4 "finalists"



Bike Hunx Calendar

We've got two photographers lined up, Mel and Sarahbeard. We've got 20 committed "models."

Time to connect the dots...

Tentative/Example Run Order:

February: Shipwreck
March: Brian Badluck
April: Luís 'el guapo' Ramos
May: Eric Montañez
June: Jon Scarboro
July: Derek SchleppinDeckle
August: Ryan Fromdeland
September: Jimmy
October: Rapevan
November: Mujahid
December: Josh Hood
January: Antimo
February: Garrett
March: Anthony Positano
April: Zach Fortune
May: Nick
June: Justin
July: Jonbeard
August: Facefulloflightning

Alternately, we could do a couple "hunx" per month and keep it a 12-month calendar

After talking to mel a little, we thought it would be a good idea for the "hunx" to "plan out" their shot - i.e. get props you'll need yourself, make times for shoots, etc. I'll figure out when Mel/Sarah are available and we could set up some "shoot days" soon. Hunx, check yr emails.

Lets get these done for valentines day ! (wishful thinking, of course)

Meeting Notes 012009

Meeting with Mighk Wilson of Metroplan Orlando and Cristina Cruz and Charles Brown of the City of Orlando
@ 903 Mills Market


Mighk Wilson (Metroplan Orlando)
Charles Brown (City of Orlando)
Cristina Cruz (City of Orlando)

Notetaker: Ryan

The meeting flowed "free-form" with informal discussions. No facilitator or stacker were needed.

Mighk Wilson introduced himself - he works with Metroplan Orlando, a non-profit quasi-governmental agency which is not part of the city. He coordinates for Orange, Seminole and Osceola counties on a pedestrian and bicycle transportation board. He works from above (less hands-on) to help develop public education programs about bicycles and bicycle advocacy. Helps organize a regional transportation plan, the agency filters federal money to projects.

"The Collective" adressed Wilson and two city staffers about what we're about and our ideas about how to achieve the goal.

Staffers informed us that they've had some meetings about similar prospective programs and nothing has yet come to fruition. The city, through liability concerns, had waited for a grassroots group to take such a project on.

Some discussion followed about incorporation as a 501(c)3 federal non-profit. As well as ideas about prospective umbrella organizations that might sponsor such an event to "share" the 501(c)3 status. Both Carrot and Fist Collective, Inc. (the financial disbursement entity of Orlando Food not Bombs), and the Florida Bicycle Association (a group on which Mighk Wilson is a board member) were mentioned

Get Active Orlando was explained by Mighk. It has existsed for 5 years to promote the usage of bicycles and walking as a viable transportation method. It also helped organized a bike ride with Parramore kids zone. This ride was a "hit" as kids got to ride in their streets freely and be out in numbers without worrying about crime. They started to throw around ideas for an Earn-a-Bike program through parramore kids zone. Mighk follwed up with that explaining the bevy of programs "throwing" bikes all over parramore, without sufficient public education programs about the maintenance of the bikes or a program to get locks to people, so as a result, many bikes were falling into disuse from disrepair, or being stolen. These are topics the collective should not only take into account, but also actively try to address through the public education aspect of the collective, and a possible "earn-a-lock- program.

Charles stressed the importance of checking in with the commissioner of parramore (daisy lynum), as well as other local groups and entities about integrating the project with the community to avoid synonymity and increase the effectiveness of the program.

Charles stated the city's concerns with startng a similar program is mostly due to liability issues - but still wants to help somehow.

Mike summarizd the fundriaser on saturday.

Bike month - Charles asked us if we'd be interested in providing some sort of entertainment for kids for an event. If we did tricks or knew of anything like that. Mike added that freak bikes would be a "good draw." Some interest on part of the collective was shown about either a trick show or some polo games - Charles requested that we email him some relevant videos to give him a better idea of what they look like.

Mighk announced the Get Active Orlando Meetings are the first tuesday on each month
9AM at Parks and Rec hq on Primrose.

In a word, the meeting was "introductory"

new emails:
Charles Brown, City of Orlando Transportation Planner -
Cristina Cruz, City of Orlando Transportation Planner -
Mighk Wilson, Metroplan Orlando, Smart Growth Planner -

Existing List: or

Recap Pt. II

Etoile donated 10% of their sales to the project which wound up being about $50 - Thanks Etoile

Running total on fundraised money: $224.04

Way to go!

Saturdays Fundraiser Recap:

relayed from elocin:

"Hi everyone! First let me start by giving a huge thanks to everyone who came out to the Milk District BBQ on Saturday. Everyone's support was amazing and the fundraiser was a huge success! Also, thanks to Katie (and Corey!) from Etoile for letting us use space in front of her shop, all they guys from the Milk District, Aaron for providing awesome vegan hotdogs, Julius and Mel for the buttons, and Trent for the yummy treats! We raised a grand total of $234.04 by the end of the day and after paying $60 for the keg, our total donations from Saturday were $174.04, which will go directly to the collective.

Once again, many thanks to everyone who donated, supported, and braved the chilly weather with us for our first Co-Op fundraiser!


Meeting Reminders

Meetings Today

Noon - General Meeting at Ryan's House - 2139 Carlton Dr.
2PM - Meeting with Mighk Wilson at Mills Market - mills and gore

Friday, January 16, 2009

Meeting Notes 011609


What We Got
Mission Statement
Freak Bikes

Saturday Noon-7PM @ Milk District
Grand Opening of Etoiles new location, Aaron's "customer appreciation day," Our fundraiser

What We Got:
Buttons // Julius is working on 45+ of them

Ryan is bringing the workbench w/ some tools - repairs for free or donation

Mission Statement
Ryan will print out the mission statement and put it on the diorama

Will consist of:
-Mission Statement
-Silly Before/after pics
-Blog URL

$5 Donation for a cup - gets you beer 'til the kegs dry

Ryan's got a pack of T's // Mike and shit-b are also bringing t-shirts
Mike will scout some paint
"i supported orlando's first bike collective"
"bike fist"
"tall bike"

Mike talked to mel/juls - will need to meet up next week about it // Sarahbeard also will take the pics
18-month calendar possible

Freak Bikes
Toight Boike
Low Chopper
Swing Bike
"Gimme yr money"
Sean's Aunt

Donation Jar
We need labels - Mike volunteered nicole to do so

Signup Sheet
for Email List

Upcoming Meetings
W/ Mighk Wilson // Tuesday // 2PM @ Mills Market
W/ Eachothers // Tuesday // Noon @ Ryan's House (Ritz-Carlton) 2139 Carlton Dr.
W/ Mel Date TBA

I'm getting there around 11 - what about you?

Meeting Today

There's some confusion about the meeting location for today - Mike says he'll be at ethos - I'm also at ethos - is this good for everyone?

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Pre-Milk District Party Meeting Pt.II / Co-Op Space Walk Thru

From what I've assesed from the emails, I believe the meeting will take place tomorrow (Friday 12/16/09). Have we decided on a meeting location? I know I, for one, will be there. 

Are we going to make a walk thru of one of the prospective locations for the co-op. The one on Curry Ford? 2pm after the meeting good?

PreMilk District Party meeting..

With the big day nearing I think it would be a good idea if we have a small pregame meeting. We can go over everything to make sure the day will run smoothly... what do you guys think...I'm free before 5pm and after 10pm tomorrow and i have off all day Friday...

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

City Involvement Pt. 1

Julius Wisened us up to this:

"Julius: The City of Orlando is actually interested in helping such an effort and may even have a space for it. Contact me at 407-481-5672 x318 or"

I followed up with Mighk via email...

Email Correspondence

Me to Mighk:
"Hello Mighk,

My name is Ryan Hutchinson, and I'm helping put this idea into motion.
Is there a time we would meet to talk about what goals we may have in

Thanks for your interest

Mighk to Me:
"Pretty much any time. I've got a 3:30 mtg today, and I'm teaching
tomorrow night between 5:00 and 9:00. Call my cell at 407-488-9990.


Me to Mighk:
"(not to sound too professional, but...) i'll talk to my people and see
when everyone's available - maybe earlier next week?


So that said what "terms" are we going to set for participation in such a thing? When would people be able to meet this person?

My own ideas:
-we have complete autonomy over the way the spot is run
-there will be no profiteering opportunities for anyone (city and us included)
-city shouldn't get all the credit
-we keep our radical agenda

Mission Draft

Here's the first draft of the mission statement Antimo and I cooked up. Comments, suggestion, edits, hating welcome.

The objective of The Orlando Bicycle Cooperative is to offer educational, recreational, and career-building opportunities through bicycling. We will provide access to space, tools, and experience in a safe environment free of discrimination. OBC will promote self-reliance through cycling, encourage movement towards environmental sustainability, and grow local unity.

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Milk District Party Update

I started working on a description of the project to include on the "informational diorama" i'm putting together for the party this saturday - for the sake of collectivism and transparency, I think it ought to be okay'd and if anyone has any suggestions, let e know.



Bike Hunx Calendar UPDATE:

Here's the details as the exist so-far for the Bike Hunx Calendar:

January: Facefulloflightning
February: Shipwreck
March: Brian Badluck
April: Luís 'el guapo' Ramos
May: Eric Montañez
June: Jon Scarboro
July: Derek SchleppinDeckle
August: Ryan Fromdeland
September: Jimmy
October: Rapevan
November: Mujahid
December: Josh Hood

also Antimo, Garrett, Justin, Zach Fortune, Nick, Anthony Positano (yes we signed you up, anthony), jonbeard

As you'll notice, we've got 12-months lined up, and, depending on when we get this shot/compiled/printed, it'll concieveably run from the month-after. For example, if we get these done in february, we'll start with March (Badluck, pressure is on...) and roll until February 2010 (wow 2010 sounds weird...). I know we talked about other people who we'd like to try to include in this (hood, etc.) - so maybe we could work on an 18-month calendar? Or maybe skip the group shot? What does everyone think?


First Fundraiser!

Milk District Party/BBQ


Milk District (The spot on robinson behind T.G. Lee, with Beta/Covert/Etoile etc.) - where most races here end


Saturday, January 17th // 12NOON-7PM


This is going to be a cool fun day to hang out. Firstly, Beta, Covert and Etoile are all having sales on their respective wares, There will be FREE vegan hot dogs provided by Aaron, the GRAND OPENING of both, ETOILE's new location (in the front of the building) and a NEW RECORD STORE called WIGGLY WORLD in the spot behind - where Etoile used to be.

This will functionally be the first fundraiser in a series of many to get the co-op going. Etoile has offered us a spot to table to tell people about the project, as well as to solicit donations. There are a couple plans working themselves out, but it looks like we'll have tools/bike repair, a donation jar, a "diorama," and buttons for sale. Etoile is also donating 10% of their sales to the project as well as having, on their own counter, a donation jar. Let's make this a strong start to a great project! Come out, hang out, eat some vegan hot dogs, buy some clothes or skateboards or records, and we'll help this community grow together.


Mike says he's got a table and a popup tent, I've got some tools, a toolbox and a workbench/workstand, we ought to be able to use the food not bombs truck to get the big stuff there. I'm working on the diorama today, probably finish by friday. Julius has agreed to make some buttons. Antimo/Jon Scarboro, will you be able to have the mission statement available? Does anyone want to come up with some literature? does anyone want to add on anything?



I stumbled across this today - it's a great resource!



There is a list of collectives and co-ops linked from the main page - there are some great names in there, as well as about 50 plays on the word "recycle" (recycles, recyclery, recycled bicycles, etc., with much interregional synonymity).

Hope this helps keep those name ideas coming!


Also, I emailed Park Tools and asked very eloquently if they'd be interested in donating blemished/backstock/etc. tools for the project. I'd like to see what comes of it.


(if anyone else wants to contribute to this blog, gimme yr email adress!)
Bike Collective Meeting #2 // 011208

Ryan Fromdeland
Jonathan (had to leave early)

Name - Mike
Mission/Points of Unity - Mike
Explicit Political Agenda? - Mike/Jonathan
What we are/What we're not/boundaries - Mike
Place/Reportbacks if there are any - Mooj
Fundraising - Antimo
Hours - Jonathan
Operations/logs/keys - Jonathan/nicole
Responsibilities - Nicole
Moneyhandling - Mike
Work with the city? - Jonathan
Tools - Have/need - Jonathan
Web presents

The meeting started with a quick, informal discussion about how we would arrive at decisions as a group, i.e. what is our decision-making process. After some quick discussion, we unanimously decided on a strong majority, with emphasis on mediating minority opinions.

Mike asked the group if we'd thought of any names. Jonathan had a point that our name may be reflective of our stated explicit or implicit political views. Mooj suggested that we postpone working on a name as he pointed out that the name has a rather significant impact on whomever works with us. Mike and mooj proposed that we oughtta work on this via the internet. Group voted Yes.

Mike brought up that we need these in writing to be more clear to the public about who we are and what we (will) do.
Mission statement: mooj formally proposed that someone volunteer to write up a statement that we, as a group, will edit and revise it together, then adopt it. Group agreed.

Popular Education on Bicycle Maintenance
"create a world that doesn't rely on the use of fossil fuels"
"Bicycling and knowledge about bicycle maintenance should be a more "Free" process // bicycle shop attitudes alienate"
Sliding scale/option to work for parts/bikes
Safe place - no sexism, racism, homophobia, religious/political discrimination

Discussions revolved around the positive effects of political involvement and the inherent political-ness of a bike collective. We talked about the necessity to not be preachy or alienating by being too densely political. The group agreed to define our positions by a positive whenever possible (i.e. we're for clean air rather than against cars). Support of political groups should be decided on a case-by-case basis with a vote.

Mike talked about his ideas about the purpose of the space.

-drug use // group agreed to no drug use at the co-op
-alcohol // no alcohol during open hours
-after hours // alcohol okay
-if no restroom = no pee pee or poo poo on the premises
-place won't be a party place, unless it's a fundraiser
"if you're there hanging out, have the door open, be ready to help passers by"

tools stay in the shop - group agreed
loaner box for volunteers w/ basic tools to check out
tool ownership - if someone feels comfortable letting the co-op borrow a tool, we ought to allow it with the following conditions: the tool will be used properly, the tool will be marked in some way to differentiate it from the co-op's tools, and that the

no one who is able to perform the fixed gear maneuver "keo spin" shall henceforth be permissioned to czech out a tool or otherwise bicycle maintenancy peripheral utility.

Nicole talked about possibly having a log to increase transparency and accountability
in/out log

Work Tags/tape
tags to identify tentative property
1-week courtesy call
2-week warning - fair game
##extendable in certain circumstances
tape to identify scrap/freak/free fodder

how much space per person - antimo proposed that we wait on deciding exactly how much space until we get a space.

Serial lookup of bikes coming in /
serial clears, bike is accepted
serial doesn't clear - bike gets given back to it's rightful owner
serial ground up - contact donor about it - try to find out if it was stolen - after ____ time

PARTS INVENTORY: what we have/what we don't/where it went - might be too much of a hassle - honor system agreed upon
TOOLS INVENTORY: group agreed - pegboard // shadow tools

Waiver for safety // antimo brought up "covering your ass" - necessary for complete bike or using tools
Ryan volunteered to do the relevant research and getting something together. Antimo will also research with past coop exp

KEYS: limited number of keys to trusted people - belong to people - no floating/travelling keys. They'll be distributed to people on an "as needed" basis - key holder contact on the front door. Jonbeard brought up that key people ought to treat it more as a responsibility than a privilege. If shop is opened for person, keyholder ought to stay until the shop is closed up.

Work Orders are out - no work without showing people how to do it - certain work done FOR people in certain situations

Calendar of Events

Sleeping in the space is frowned upon, but not completely unallowed. Legitimate reasons may present themselves, we'll take it on a case-by-case basis.

we talked about cultural/language barriers and how to deal with them. The group all agreed on composing multi-lingual pamphlets explaining our mission for instances of lanuguage barriers

wasn't discussed

- Jonathan
wasn't discussed

TOOLS - HAVE/NEED - Jonathan
wasn't discussed

wasn't discussed

Group agreed on nicole being a "money holder" until the place opens

Mike: set up a table at the milkdistrict bbq
Get julius to throw in buttons
jonbeard: jan 19th show at hoops - table there.
Shitbrick: pass a jar around at bday party
Nicole: postcard fliers from clubfliers
Derek: employee fund at ethos
Ryan: 10% day at ethos
Mike: table at community garage sale - sell nice parts
Jonathan: "nice" parts section for sale
Nicole: planning a race
Ryan: BikeHunx calendar

Next meeting
ideas about boundaries/points
vote on points of unity/mission statement.

Calendar Signup
January: Jeremy
February: Shipwreck
March: Luis Ramos
June: Jon Scarboro
July: Derek
August: Ryan Fromdeland
September: Jimmy
October: Rapevan
November: Mujahid
December: Groupshot?

Friday, January 9, 2009

First Post

We can set up a central email once a name is decided to start the "official" blog with. Drop yr email if you want to contribute. Meeting notes for January 8th in the next post.